The Scottish Tories said they would press the vote after alleging John Swinney failed to hand over all the advice requested by the inquiry.

Nicola Sturgeon’s deputy is to face a vote of no confidence at Holyrood this week after he was accused of “blatantly” withholding the publication of damning legal advice until two days after she appeared at the Alex Salmond inquiry.
The Scottish Tories said they would press the vote after alleging John Swinney failed to hand over all the advice requested by the inquiry and made inaccurate statements about its release.
On the eve of Ms Sturgeon’s appearance before the inquiry last Wednesday, Mr Swinney published what he described as “the key legal advice” and claimed “all of this material is now in the public domain.”
The disclosure was made after it became clear there was a Holyrood majority for a Tory no confidence motion that would have forced his resignation. He had previously ignored two parliamentary votes for the documents to be released.
But Mr Swinney published a further tranche of documents on Friday afternoon that showed the Scottish Government lawyers fighting Mr Salmond’s judicial review had challenged Ms Sturgeon whether she wanted to “plough on” regardless of their warnings he would win.
A note written on Dec 17, 2018 showed Roddy Dunlop QC and Christine O’Neill said they were “perilously close” to being unable to mount a defence and were “firmly of the view” Mr Salmond would succeed on at least one of his challenges.
Despite this, two days later the Scottish Government started an expensive ‘Commission and Diligence’ process in the court fight. The Sunday Mail reported yesterday that ministers spent a further £135,000 of taxpayers’ money before the case was conceded in early January.
In another note published last Friday, and dated Dec 7, 2018, Mr Dunlop said there were now only two possible counter-arguments against Mr Salmond’s action and “I doubt either will work.”