Angry scenes unfolded in Belfast when officers intervened at a gathering to mark the 29th anniversary of a loyalist massacre.

Updated 14 hours ago
ONE PSNI OFFICER has been suspended and another re-positioned after the controversial arrest of a Troubles survivor at a memorial event yesterday.
Chief Constable of the PSNI, Simon Byrne, said that the incident was not reflective of the values of the PSNI, but said that the police did not attempt to stop the commemoration.
After the commemoration had finished, the officers present became involved in an incident with a man who had been there.  What followed was not reflective of the values of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, said Byrne
Having reviewed the Body Worn Video from yesterdays incident on the Ormeau Road a decision has been taken to suspend one officer and re-position a second officer.
Mark Sykes, who was shot multiple times in the loyalist massacre at a betting shop in Belfast in 1992, was later released after Fridays incident on the citys Ormeau Road.
Angry exchanges unfolded at the wreath-laying anniversary event for the five people killed in the Sean Graham bookmakers attack when police intervened amid suspicions the gathering breached lockdown rules.
In his statement, Byrne apologised to those who attended the memorial event.
I want to apologise to all those who were present yesterday and to those who have been affected by what they have seen on social media, said Byrne.
 I will be writing to the legal representatives of families who lost loved ones in the 1992 atrocity and offering to meet them in person to listen to their concerns and to apologise.
Byrne said that policing during the pandemic has drawn the police service into conflict with communities they serve and that they want to draw a line under the events that occurred on Friday.
Byrne also confirmed that the PSNI would be fully cooperating with the Police Ombudsmans operation.
Arrest
Sykes has condemned his arrest.
The only thing I had in my hands was flowers that my three-year-old granddaughter had lain at her uncles memorial, he said in a statement released by campaign group Relatives for Justice.
Five people, including a 15-year-old boy, were murdered and several others injured in February 1992 when Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF) opened fire at the bookies.
Footage of angry exchanges involving officers and those attending Fridays event have been posted online.
Police said officers took action after witnessing a crowd of between 30 to 40 attending an event.
Public gatherings of more than six people are currently prevented under Covid-19 lockdown regulations in Northern Ireland.
The PSNIs response tonight to the incident at a wreath laying for the anniversary of the Sean Grahams Bookies Massacre is inadequate & insulting.
This standard of policing is unacceptable & I have requested an urgent meeting with the Chief Constable.https://t.co/YuyqKLfG3Ipic.twitter.com/n4nvQoN5os
— Michelle ONeill (@moneillsf) February 5, 2021
Northern Irelands Police Ombudsman has launched an investigation into how the police operation was handled.
Separately, the Ombudsman continues to face demands from bereaved relatives to publish a delayed investigation report into the 1992 murders, amid allegations of state collusion.
PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne appealed for calm following Fridays incident.
Byrne said: I fully recognise the sensitivities of this incident and just how difficult a day this would have already been for the families who lost loved ones in the atrocity.
That should not be forgotten.
We are acutely aware that this is the latest incident to raise concerns about the enforcement of coronavirus regulations and illustrates there are no easy answers, he added.
His comments were echoed by Justice Minister Naomi Long.
She said it was always going to be a painful and difficult day for the survivors and the families of those murdered at Sean Grahams bookmakers.
Minister Long said funerals and memorials were particularly sensitive when it comes to enforcement of the coronavirus regulations, and she appealed for everyone to work together to get through these challenges during the pandemic.
#Open journalismNo news is bad newsSupport The Journal
Your contributions will help us continue
to deliver the stories that are important to you
Support us now
We now need calm and cool heads to prevail, she said.
Sykes contrasted the scenes on the Ormeau Road with the lack of arrests made by the police earlier in the week when a gang of masked men gathered in Pitt Park in east Belfast in an apparent loyalist paramilitary show of strength.
The attack survivor also made reference to a controversy six years ago when it emerged the PSNI had loaned a rifle used in the Sean Graham attack to the Imperial War Museum.
When I asked police what they were doing and had they notebooks out at Pitt Park, I was told if I swore again I would be arrested, he said.
I said this is a f***ing disgrace as I walked away. The police then grabbed me and handcuffed me.
The cuffs were as tight as possible, behind my back. The handcuffs were dug in tightly to the bullet wounds I suffered 29 years ago to the day. On top of the insult of donating the weapon (used) to shoot me to a museum they have today literally rubbed the steel of their handcuffs as salt in my physical wounds.
Byrne said officers came across a group of between 30 and 40 people at the event on Friday and as it concluded, two officers approached a person to talk to him about a breach of the Health Protection Regulations.
The situation quickly escalated and a man was arrested for disorderly behaviour and resisting arrest, he said.
Byrne said in the course of the incident a police officer sustained a minor injury to his face.
Sinn Fein deputy First Minister Michelle ONeill has described the PSNIs response to the arrest of a Troubles victim at a anniversary event as inadequate and insulting.
This standard of policing is unacceptable and I have requested an urgent meeting with the Chief Constable, she said.
Updated by Tadgh McNally